Tuesday, September 21, 2004

The Red Carpet Treatment

Oh! I forgot the best part about my arrival:

All the guidebooks warn about the immediate assault upon the arriving traveller by taxi drivers eager to (over)sell a ride, yet when I stepped out into the Bangkok airport in the bright of the afternoon, the entire arrival hall was clear of anyone but travellers and a handful of helpful airport staff. I was pleasantly surprised -- and then the girls carrying large bouquets of flowers appeared. Followed by the photographers, the security staff and the hordes of screaming fans.

Somewhere along that progression, I realized that this was likely not directed at me (... I'd like to say I was perceptive on this count, although I suppose I could have bought into having *one* bouquet sent my way. ;) The fortuitous truth of the matter was the arrival of a Japanese pop-star in Thailand that very afternoon -- in anticipation of her appearance, the airport had been "put in order" ... so much so, that the tourists *wanting* to catch a taxi weren't able to do so -- luckily, the airport buses on which I had my heart set were still running.

I wish I had recognized the name of the J-pop starlet whose grand entrance made my arrival experience so pleasant -- I think I'd buy at least one of her albums ;)

1 Comments:

At December 31, 2005 at 2:02 AM, Blogger Carpet Cleaning Dallas said...

Good Blog here nice read if you would like to see my web site carpet cleaning Irvingcarpet cleaning Irvinghttp://www.carpet-cleaning-dallas-allen-frisco-plano-texas.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home