Monday, August 30, 2004

Lost in Translation

I`m in Japan, more specifically in Osaka, most specifically at the Kansai Int. Airport. There`s no sign of a typhoon, fortunately, but I still need to negotiate passage to Kyoto, a nearby city (ca. 75 minutes via the haruka, the airport express train) and given that I`m grubby and very tired after a night of sleeping in various twisted positions on various airport furniture not designed to be slept upon, least of all by people of non-Asia body-type, this isn`t as easy a task as it should be -- nor one that`s helped by the local lack of faith in smokefree zones or good airconditioning (... haven`t I mastered the American sense of entitlement admirably?! ;)

Lack of sleep leads to diminished linguistic dexterity; I knew this in theory before, and I know this in painful practice now. Being able to speak Japanese decently well under normal circumstances is making this ironically a more stressful experience than visiting a country where I don`t speak the language, period -- and being the stubborn mule that I am, I`m insisting on negotiating my way in Japanese. Audible sigh.

3 Comments:

At August 31, 2004 at 7:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Maria. With the tiredness you describe, I'm surprised English is working well for you!. In that state, heaven knows what random language combinations I'd produce. If you're managing to keep your other languages from infiltrating your Japanese, you are truly a remarkable person! I salute you!

-spider

 
At August 31, 2004 at 12:36 PM, Blogger e. said...

Just remember...mime is always a good substitute for any language.

And yes, you've mastered that American sense of entitlement superbly, though I don't think it's something to brag about. ;+)

 
At August 31, 2004 at 4:50 PM, Blogger Expat Birds said...

Hi Chris! Hi Eric (... thanks to your reprimand, I`ll swiftly readjust my attitude to European laissez faire ;)

Good to hear from you -- and Chris, what`s that rumor I hear about hot 29 year old teachers? Spill :)

Your friendly international traveller.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home