Friday, August 27, 2004

Hi from Hong Kong!

Yes, yes, I've made it to my first destination, arriving this morning at 5:30a.m. (... it's now nearly 3:00p.m. local time ...) after an uneventful 15 hour flight. The only word to describe Hong Kong is -- fecund: Lush, fertile, beautiful. The islands appear to be deadlocked in the war of the human jungle (symbolized by the huge cranes all over the city -- Hong Kong truly is permanently "under construction") against God's jungle (e.g. the incredible greenery, huge flowers, lush vines that grow everywhere from rock-surfaces to railroad tracks). Just between you and me -- I think nature is winning out against civilization! :)

The hostel I'm staying at was hit by lightening 2 days ago -- the humidity here is tremendous and shifts back and forth between merely moist air and drizzling rain: Thunderstorms accordingly are very, very common, and the hostel staff is quite wryly relaxed about it: The hostel is hit at least twice each year, thus handily disproving the proverb that lightening never strikes the same place twice. In the process, though, the modem, computer monitor and landline of the place were fried -- internet access is thus harder to have than I anticipated. I'll be sure to update again in the near future, though -- I'm in Hong Kong until the afternoon of August 30 at which point I'm continuing on to Japan (Osaka/Kyoto).

And how is everyone back in the US of A? :)

3 Comments:

At August 28, 2004 at 8:28 AM, Blogger Paddy O. said...

Well, congrats on making it! Your description of Hong Kong is wonderful, I've never heard it described like that before.

You should seriously collect your journals of this when you are done and submit them to a friendly publisher or two.

Or, let your mind wander over the various jungles and feel the peace of God ease your soul.

These two may or may not be mutually exclusive.

As for the USA... we are having a bit of a political contest these days, likely nothing will change from the time you left until you return.

Praying for ya'!

 
At August 28, 2004 at 4:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like the trip is off to a great start. It sounds like you might want to avoid standing on the top of the hostel during rain.

Looking forward to reading more.

Wade

 
At August 31, 2004 at 4:54 PM, Blogger Expat Birds said...

Patrick! Wadester! So good to hear from you :)

Good suggestion, albeit too much honor, I think -- I`ll likely put together something more coherent at least for blog-posting purposes. I`m thinking of calling it "Asia Stories" -- there are so many already, 99% of which I don`t have time to mention here. The elections ... sadly, travellers tend to be a political bunch: When in doubt, though, I pretend to not speak English as soon as the subjects of Bush/Kerry come up. I ought to practise this one in America as well! ;)

Wade -- I narrowly escaped! Can you believe it?! ;)

Thank you for prayers and e-mails. I miss you guys!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home